Since 1948, MONDO has been a leader in building state-of-the-art indoor track systems throughout the U.S. and the world for colleges and universities, public facilities for cities and municipalities, and for privately owned venues. MONDO has spent decades researching and developing the most elite, high-tech, reliable, and successful indoor track surfaces and systems, including banked tracks and hydraulic tracks.
The development of MONDO’s state-of-the-art indoor tracks has allowed us to provide athletes with safe surfaces on which they can perform at the highest level. Many major competitions have been held on MONDO tracks including:
- The past 31 NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Indoor Track and Field Championships
- Twenty-five of the past 26 USA Track and Field Indoor Championships
- Fourteen of the past 18 World Athletics Indoor Championships
MONDO has been trusted by schools, universities, municipalities, private donors, and sports entities globally to build high-quality, custom indoor tracks. MONDO professionals can design a custom flat, hydraulic, or banked track system that maximizes the floor space of your facility while staying within your budget. MONDO professionals consider the intended use of your indoor 200-meter track, such as competitions, practices, recreational activities, and events, to determine the type of indoor track system and which materials will be needed to build the track that best suits your purpose. They also will determine the optimal banking and construction techniques to build your track.
MONDO doesn’t just build ovals; we build high-performance, state-of-the-art indoor tracks that are fast and proven.
What are the Advantages of an Indoor Track System?
The addition of an indoor track can benefit the athletic program at any facility, including high schools, colleges, and universities; community fitness and recreational centers; and privately owned facilities. Following are the main benefits of installing a state-of-the-art custom indoor track system from MONDO:
- Safe and comfortable training: MONDO track surfaces are made from vulcanized rubber that lessens impact and improves traction to allow athletes to maximize their performance. Whether athletes are training or competing, the dynamic response from MONDO track surfaces will give them complete control over their stride, rhythm, and balance.
- Weather-proof training: Indoor track systems allow athletes to train and compete year-round, regardless of the weather. You will not have to worry about adverse weather conditions affecting the track or compromising the safety of the athletes.
- Attracting recruits: For coaches, the opportunity to train and compete on a top-of-the-line track surface can help attract top recruit student athletes. Track and field athletes also tend to prefer schools with dedicated training areas for their sport.
- Increasing revenue: Whether in a health club, community fitness center, or university, a new, high-quality indoor track system will generate more revenue. Having a facility with a state-of-the-art indoor track system will bring in new members and student athletes. Your school or institution may also get the opportunity to host regional and national championships and competitions that will attract athletes and spectators.
Types of Indoor Track Systems
MONDO specializes in designing, building, and installing three main types of indoor track systems: flat tracks; portable and permanent banked tracks; and hydraulic tracks. Each of these track types feature MONDO’s prefabricated vulcanized rubber surfaces and are built with the latest technologies.
- Flat tracks: MONDO’s flat indoor track systems consist of a 200-meter track that is flat the entire way around.
- Permanent banked tracks: MONDO’s permanent banked tracks have curved areas of the track that are banked at a certain angle. These tracks allow athletes to have more momentum toward the center of the track as the innermost lane is lower than the outermost lane.
- Portable banked tracks: MONDO’s portable banked tracks can be assembled and disassembled quickly and easily. The frame of MONDO’s portable banked tracks uses a claw-locking mechanism that allows for assembly and disassembly without screws or bolts. Each time you reassemble MONDO’s portable banked tracks, you can expect consistent tightness and perfect dimensional accuracy. The track can be assembled or disassembled in just a few days, and while disassembled, it can be stored in a warehouse, freeing up the space for other purposes.
- Hydraulic tracks: MONDO’s variable hydraulic tracks feature a Programmable Logic Control (PLC) system that allows you to raise and lower the track’s curves with the push of a button. You can lower the track to be flush with the ground and raise it to the optimum banking height for training and competition. MONDO produced the first variable hydraulic track system and installed the first hydraulic track in 1987 at the National Institute for Fitness and Sports in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Why Work with MONDO for Indoor Tracks?
MONDO is one of the world’s premier manufacturers and installers of innovative indoor track systems and track surfaces. As such, many reasons exist for you to work with us for your indoor track system.
Following are the main reasons to partner with Mondo for your indoor track system:
- Maintenance: MONDO’s track surfaces are built with vulcanized rubber that is resistant to abrasions, which helps to ensure that the surface lasts for years. Maintenance is relatively easy: vacuum the track and wash it regularly with a low-foaming, film-free floor cleaner and a floor scrubber with a non-abrasive cylindrical brush with nylon bristles.
- Storage: MONDO’s portable banked tracks can be assembled and disassembled relatively easily and stored comfortably in a warehouse when not in use.
- Surface performance: MONDO’s track surfaces are built for maximum performance with features that provide shock absorption, elasticity, improved traction, energy storage and return, and resistance to punctures and abrasions. MONDO’s innovative track surface technologies provide safe, comfortable, and consistent performance.
- Sand catchers: MONDO can install sand catchers around long jump pits to collect the sand that is thrown from the pit. These sand catchers will cut down on sand waste as you can dump the sand from the catchers back into the pit.
- Building footprint: MONDO’s professionals will make the best use of your space when building a track system, accounting for both the infield and outfield. Generally, there should be a minimum of 80,000 square feet of venue space available to build and install a track system.
- GREENGUARD Gold certification: MONDO’s track surfaces are environmentally friendly due to the use of contaminant-free, recycled post-consumer and post-industrial materials as well as rapidly renewable materials. The absence of amines and isocyanates means that there are minimal volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions. The low VOC emissions of MONDO’s track surfaces earned them GREENGUARD and GREENGUARD Gold certification.
- Adequate field event space: MONDO always makes the best use of the space available to build your indoor track system and areas for events in the infield. MONDO built a track system for Virginia Tech University in a 20,000 square-foot space that included dedicated throw areas and other areas to accommodate all track and field events.
- Dedicated warm-up areas: MONDO can include dedicated warm-up areas along with the indoor track system in your facility. At Ocean Breeze Track and Field Athletic Complex in Staten Island, New York, and Birmingham CrossPlex in Birmingham, Alabama, MONDO installed between 7,000 and 10,000 square feet of dedicated warm-up areas. Both complexes have hosted multiple NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships.
- NCAA events hosted on MONDO tracks: MONDO’s indoor flat, banked, and hydraulic tracks have been the surface of numerous NCAA events, including the last 31 NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Track and Field Championships. Indoor tracks built and installed by MONDO have also been the surface the Big East Conference Indoor Track & Field Championships, NCAA Division II and Division III Indoor Track & Field Championships, the Southeastern Conference Indoor Track & Field Championships, Big 12 Indoor Track & Field Championships, Big Ten Indoor Track & Field Championships and World Athletics Indoor Championships.
Contact MONDO to Get Started on Your Indoor Track System
If you want a state-of-the-art indoor track system for your high school, college, university, community fitness center, recreational center, or privately owned facility, contact the professionals at MONDO who can help determine the best type of indoor track for your venue and design a track system that makes the best use of the space. MONDO track surfaces are built with innovative technologies produced by years of careful research to minimize injuries and maximize performance.
When it comes to designing and installing indoor track systems, MONDO is fast, MONDO is proven, and MONDO looks good.
Contact MONDO to get started on your indoor track and field project.